Wednesday, February 3

FfNl: Corn Tortillas

One of my unofficial New Year's resolutions (official ones always seem to fail, so I'm going to go with unofficial this time out) is to try to use up the ridiculous amounts of food in my kitchen. I really have more food than any one person should have. I just like trying new things and like little challenges in the kitchen.
On to my story. Last night, after a longer-than-I-wanted day at work which was followed by a brief foray to the pottery studio to finish up the saki set I threw monday night, I peered into my fridge and grabbed things that needed to be used and threw together a mexican-type filling. One problem: I had no tortillas. However, I do have masa harina and a tortilla press that had never seen the light of day. Yes, I'm just that kind of person.

So I grabbed my trusty Rick Bayless Mexican cookbook and tried my hand at them.
Pretty, no? They were surprisingly easy. I may never buy corn tortillas again. Well at least until I make it through my current stock of masa harina. Seriously, you should give it a try. Well, you'll need a tortilla press, but for $12 you can have your very own.

Just think about it.

3 comments:

  1. NO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
    Easy????????????????????????????????
    Omigosh, they look soooooooo tasty. NORAH you have got us INSPIRED. We could, oh i dunno, take our iron and make them?
    That's a joke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I'll have to make you some Gary- and you would have dug the vegan filling I made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norah, they look so yummy. Nothing like that in Antartica.

    ReplyDelete