Sunday, May 30

Tonic Emergency

And thus ends my silence. I can't believe my poor blog has been so neglected. I blame NetNewsWire.
***
So I headed up to the Adirondacks on Friday night to spend the holiday weekend at my family's summer camp. Just to clarify, this is not a sleep-away camp for children. Up in the northern hinterlands of New York we call summer homes camps. I don't know why, we just do. To further clarify, we usually just call our camp "the island" as if it were the only island in existence. Now to continue, around 10 pm I was almost there, and I called up my parents to make sure they would have the boat on the mainland when I arrived and I had the following conversation:

me: Hi Dad! I'm in Tupper Lake.
Dad: Norah. Have you driven by Stewart's yet?
me: Um...no. I'm still in that place (yes, I actually said that as if that is a completely clear statement. "that place" is actually Faust, a neighborhood of Tupper Lake.)
Dad: Oh, well, we have a tonic emergency. We only have enough tonic to make one or two drinks.

So, dutiful daughter that I am, I stop and pick up tonic, thus averting a dire crisis on the island. After all, one cannot survive on the island with out ample G&Ts, V&Ts or R&Ts. Yes, my life is just that difficult.


2 comments:

  1. GOOD GOD what an emergency.
    You damn well better make plans to see your friends here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about MY tonic emergency? I don't have any gin OR tonic. Hurry, Norah.

    ReplyDelete