Wednesday, July 8

FfNl: CSA adventure

So, my good friend Alice is out of town for the month of July, and kindly offered me the opportunity to pick up her CSA share at West Haven Farm. I love CSAs, they are a great opportunity to get really good food and support local agriculture! Maybe some year I'll actually get around to signing up for one. Anyway, yesterday was my first pick-up. Now you would think after 10 years in Ithaca I could find almost anything in a 30 mile radius without getting lost. Unfortunately that is not the case. For some unknown reason I always seem to get routes 96, 79 and 89 all hopelessly confused in my tiny little head. So after what we'll call a senic tour of the area, I finally made it to the pick-up place- a cool little barn where you sign in and then pick out your produce (they have a white board to tell you what your share is). This week I got a huge heap of veggies: kohlrabi, turnips (two kinds), kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, red cabbage, broccoli, snow peas, summer squash, basil, parsley, dill and garlic. I also got to cut a few other herbs in the plot next to the barn. I love fresh produce (Thanks again, Alice)!
So last night for dinner I made up a tasty little dish of brown rice, chick peas, fresh steamed broccoli and kohlrabi with feta cheese. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete