Monday, July 20

summer reading

I'm on vacation. I love vacation.

On Friday, I packed up approximately one months-worth of stuff for my 6 days off, and headed north. I've always been an over-packer. I think it is in my genes (once, when my family went to Alaska for 3 weeks, the airline representative asked us if we were moving). Case in point: I brought 6 books for my 6 day vacation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love reading and in fact I read a great deal, but i can't spend every day reading. I've come up to the Adirondacks to relax and play with my family- and maybe work on a few house projects (gotta love wielding an axe). Here's the thing: I like options. I'm also indecisive. I mean what if I'm not in the mood to read one, or I don't know, four of these books. I've got to have a couple I can still get into. So here's what I've got:
I've got some thrillers and mysteries, not exactly high brow, but pretty damn fun to read. Then a couple of non-fictiony things that various people have recommended. And then I've got that big fat one on the bottom. Maybe you've heard of it?

So here's the deal on that one. I'm an irrational idiot. Yup, that's right. For some reason I got it into my head that I had, had to re-read all the others before I could continue on. That was a few years ago and I never managed to get around to it. Then the last book came out, and I still haven't gotten around to it. But these days its dangerous to walk around for fear of people talking about the movie. I can't very well walk around slapping my hands over my ears every time someone says Harry Potter. So I'll read it and hope the other books come back to me. Plus I have, have to read books before I see movie versions of them. I feel pretty strongly about this (see the second sentence of this paragraph). Maybe that's why I don't see too many movies these days.

So for this reason, at least in part, I started my summer reading with Julie & Julia. My sister recomended it to me a while ago, but it was another thing I never got around to. Then I got a Borders coupon, that I just had to spend, and saw this in a display for the upcoming, you guessed it, movie version. I snapped it up and have started reading it- and now maybe I can see the movie in August. I'll tell you more about it, but it's cocktail hour.

1 comment:

  1. OH! And the Julie movie is coming out.
    Missed you at OUR cocktail hour.....and DANG your pots look good here!

    ReplyDelete