Sunday, August 9

Lake weekend

Ah, the lake. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I love this place. In the summer, as often as I can, I make a beeline up to the Adirondacks for some quality time on Upper Saranac Lake. No matter what the weather it is a lovely place to be.

This weekend, it's been fantastic! Various Rice family members from my Mom's side of the family have been here all this week- which always makes me a bit jealous ( I want to be here all the time). However, it has been great to see them. I've even managed to acquire a bit of sunburn, which, given the way most of this summer has been (rainy and overcast), is actually a bit of a surprise. Rather entertainingly, it is limited to the portions of my body exposed during our little canoe trip yesterday. So there is a 6-8 inch swath of red from mid thigh to knee, my face and my arms from mid-bicep down. Ah well, it was totally worth it, but next time I should probably remember the sunscreen. Although it had the rather pleasant side effect of keeping me warm during the cool night.

The other thing we always do here is eat. And drink. Amazingly good food. Maybe it is the fresh mountain air, but I don't think so. My family really likes to cook. Last night, we had some lovely smoked salmon that my uncle made with cocktails out on the porch. That's my gimlet below, next to my dad's G&T. That was follwed by pork chops and zucchini that were amazing- those were compliments of my mom and aunt (with a little guidance from Donna Hay). Then I made molten chocolate cakes with fresh raspberries (also thanks to DH) to finish off the meal. Then we all fell into a food coma. Heaven.
(my gimlet here was in honor of my finally finishing Julie & Julia- Julie is a big fan of gimlets, so it seemed only fitting. I definitely recommend the book- but that is for another post, maybe my next one...)

2 comments:

  1. holy shirt I wanna gimlet now too....Norah, do you do the vodka or gin type??? I just got a bunch of glasses like that too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, gin usually, but I'm not so picky...

    ReplyDelete